Secret Recipe Chili and Twice Baked Potato Casserole
At my house, the hubs is the chili craftsman. He makes the chili. Period. It’s his secret recipe of goodness and I’m ok with that. So, you just get pictures of that one today with a bonus recipe from me, Twice Baked Potato Casserole.
I decided that we just needed some little something to add to the chili and I have learned that my dude is just not a cornbread fan. (I know … I don’t know what’s wrong with him. But, the chili is soooo good that I can overlook this one flaw.)
Here’s a the original recipe from http://www.tasteofhome.com:
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes (about 6 medium), baked
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 cups (24 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Cut baked potatoes into 1-in. cubes. Place half in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the salt, pepper and bacon. Top with half of the sour cream and cheeses. Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until cheeses are melted. Sprinkle with onions. Yield: 6-8 servings.
And, of course, here are my modifications:
I baked the potatoes, let them cool and peeled off the skins by hand. I traded ricotta cheese for sour cream because it was what I had available. And, I only used cheddar cheese on top. No green onions. Instead, I chopped up two big anaheim chiles and put them right in the mix.
I love stuffed baked potatoes so covering a big scoop of this casserole with chili was outstanding. Perfect for a ‘chilly’ autumn afternoon.